Victory's EDIFY Devotional

Thursday, April 21, 2016

April 21 Edify Devotional

Today’s Devotional Theme     
Stop Resisting A Rest
 

Daily Scripture
Matthew 11:28-30 (MSG)
"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me - watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."
 
Encouragement
Let’s take another look at the verse from yesterday. You may recall the followers of Jesus were being subjected to the laws from the Old Testament. And they were getting pretty hard for them to keep. Their lives were becoming more and more difficult by each regulation the law giver were throwing on them. Look at how many laws were placed on people by the law givers of their day. “There were the ceremonial laws including "clean" and "unclean" lists, sacrifices, dietary restrictions, ritual washings, etc. The civil law regulating social behavior and specifying crimes, punishments and other rules. Moral and ethical laws, such as the Ten Commandments, The Pentateuch (the first 5 books of the Bible), and The scribal law - the 613 rules (mitzvot) formulated by the scribes that everyone was expected to obey. Finally, the Scripture as a whole.” (Taken from The Daily Study Bible by William Barclay, Westminster Press.) Life was becoming oppressive for them.
 
Apply God’s Word
I love what Jesus told them. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. A real rest means we are not really resting at all, and we are allowing others to stress us out. Who is your source today? Is it your job? Your spouse? Yourself? None of the above!!! Jesus wants to teach us how to rest the right way. Not the world's way. The world is trying to get someplace so they can rest, but Jesus’ rest is the kind that helps us get there and no stress is welcome on the journey. So stop resisting a rest. I have never been arrested, but I have watched a few Cop shows. And let me tell you it looks a whole lot easier to surrender than it is to run when a police officer is asking you to put your hands behind your back. So chose to rest in Him today. Your day will go much easier. His love is trying to place you and I under a rest. So stop resisting!

Come into His Presence
Father, I surrender today. You know what’s best for me even when I don’t see the need to rest. I will not allow life and all my challenges to cause me to run. I will stand and surrender to Your plan. In Jesus Name I pray. Amen.
Ed Herald
Senior Pastor


Email Pastor Ed
 
Victory Christian Center
18180 US Highway 150
Bloomington, Illinois 61705
309.663.7233
www.VictoryPeople.org
www.Facebook.com/VictoryPeople.org

No comments:

Post a Comment