Victory's EDIFY Devotional

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

April 20 Edify Devotional

Stop Trying to Measure Up to Other's Expectations
 

Daily Scripture
Matthew 11:28-29 (MSG)
"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me - watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."
 
Encouragement
Here, Jesus is trying to redirect the minds of His followers who were being influenced by those trying to place heavy burdens on them to adhere to many, if not all of the Jewish traditions. It seems that Jesus was seeing the heaviness and the strain they were under trying to please everyone around them. The stress of trying to keep every law was simply too much for them to deal with. Jesus came to fulfill the law because we could not.
 
Apply God’s Word
Many today find themselves in the same place. They have placed too much stress on themselves to perform for others. When the expectations of those around us become too much to handle we need to remember what Jesus told His followers. He said, “get away with me”. Take the time to see what He has for you when Jesus instructs you to come away with Him. What He is really saying is to spend the time with Him so we can see ourselves like He sees us. Not trying to please everyone is not trying to avoid responsibility to change what’s broken. But it’s simply seeing ourselves as He does.

Come into His Presence
Father, Today I’m certain I will hear many things that will cause me to wonder. Wonder if I’m doing enough, wonder if I’m good enough, wonder if I’m pleasing to You. Well, today I chose to take any advice from You and You alone! All other opinions that don’t agree with Yours will be cast aside. In Jesus Name I pray, amen.
Ed Herald
Senior Pastor


Email Pastor Ed
 
Victory Christian Center
18180 US Highway 150
Bloomington, Illinois 61705
309.663.7233
www.VictoryPeople.org
www.Facebook.com/VictoryPeople.org

No comments:

Post a Comment