Victory's EDIFY Devotional

Friday, April 15, 2016

April 15 Edify Devotional

Today’s Devotional Theme     
When God Says No
 

Daily Scripture
2 Samuel 12:15-16, 22-23
Then Nathan departed to his house. And the Lord struck the child that Uriah’s wife bore to David, and it became ill. David therefore pleaded with God for the child, and David fasted and went in and lay all night on the ground… And [David]said, ‘While the child was alive, I fasted and wept; for I said, “Who can tell whether the Lord will be gracious to me, that the child may live?” But now he is dead; why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.’”

Encouragement 
Sad words indeed. King David prayed to God with all his heart, mind, soul, and spirit for the life of the sick child. He entreated God with a passion and intensity few of us ever summon in our prayers. Yet God said no. He in effect said, “David, because of the awful thing you’ve done, it doesn’t matter how long or hard you pray, My answer is already settled. And moreover, I think you know what the answer is.” Yes, I believe David did know, in spite of his entreaties, that God had already sealed the child’s fate and would not change His mind, no matter how hard the father and king prayed. That’s why he was able to get up immediately after hearing the news, wash and anoint himself with fragrant oil, and go to the house of the Lord to worship.

Apply God’s Word
The Talmud, that Jewish commentary on the first 5 books of the Bible and on the law of Moses, cites several things that faithful Jews will never do. Two of them are, they’ll never kill someone on purpose and they’ll never have sexual relations with another man’s wife. These two no-no’s are so obvious they scarcely need mentioning. They violate two of the 10 commandments God gave to Moses. Yet the most Godly king Israel ever had (besides Jesus) did both in the space of a day. What gives here? The penalty for either of these violations was stoning to death. David knew that’s what he had coming. Instead, God had deep mercy on him. Did he walk away scot-free? Hardly. In 2 Samuel 12:10-12, the prophet Nathan tells David what God’s punishment will be for his nefarious behavior. Read those verses. It’s devastating and painful.

Come into His Presence
Lord God, my loving Father, help me to always be cognizant of my actions before carrying them out. Help me not to let my passions get the better of me and impel me to do things I’ll later regret. And when I do, may I accept your punishment with the same grace David accepted his with. In Jesus’ name, amen.
Mark Bacon
Teacher & Mentor


Email Mark
 
Victory Christian Center
18180 US Highway 150
Bloomington, Illinois 61705
309.663.7233
www.VictoryPeople.org
www.Facebook.com/VictoryPeople.org

No comments:

Post a Comment