Victory's EDIFY Devotional

Saturday, July 30, 2016

July 30 Edify Devotional

Today’s Devotional Theme     
Doers of the Word

Daily Scripture
Psalm 119:9-12, 15-16 (HCSB) 
"How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping Your word. I have sought You with all my heart; don't let me wander from Your commands. I have treasured Your word in my heart so that I may not sin against You.. Lord, may You be praised; teach me Your statutes...I will meditate on Your precepts and think about Your ways. I will delight in Your statutes; I will not forget Your word."

Encouragement
I love to read the Bible. It really is my favorite book. The stories, the teachings, the truth that it is the only written word of God. The Bible is full of various types of literature, from poetry to historical narratives and various teachings. Reading the Bible is great, but if you want to please God you have to not only read it, but do what it says (see James 1:22-25). Some parts of the Bible tell you how to live a life blessed by God. Others, like this psalm, give examples that teach us indirectly how to live for God, and it would behoove us to follow those examples. For instance, the Psalmist eagerly seeks the Lord and meditates on God's word so that he will learn how to live for the Lord. He writes that God's word has even become his delight.

Take Action!
Think about your relationship with God for a moment. Do you eagerly seek to follow Him? Do you meditate on and love the Scriptures, or do you only read them and then put your Bible away, forgetting what you've just read and not obeying them? We've all had our moments of just going through the motions. But now I'm challenging you to see Scripture in a whole new way. The next time you read the Bible, internalize it. Meditate on it. Obey what you have read. Seek the face of God and ask Him what He wants you to learn through it. The problem with most people is that, while they may say that the Bible is the written inspired word of God, they act as though it is just another religious book devoid of any power. I'm asking us to think differently about it. I'm asking us to think of it as the apostle Paul did: as the power of God (see Romans 1:16-17).

Come into His Presence
Lord, Your word is life and light to my spirit. Help me to treat it that way. There are many times that I read it just to say that I got my devotions done for the day, when I should be treasuring what I just read. Please forgive me and change my heart to be a doer of Your word, and not just a hearer or reader. Let Your word become powerful in my life as I seek you and meditate upon it. In Jesus' name, amen.
 
Greg Minassian
Pastor


Email Pastor Greg
 
Victory Christian Center
18180 US Highway 150
Bloomington, Illinois 61705
309.663.7233
www.VictoryPeople.org
www.Facebook.com/VictoryPeople.org

No comments:

Post a Comment