Victory's EDIFY Devotional

Thursday, June 9, 2016

June 9 Edify Devotional

Today’s Devotional Theme     
Do You Want Something?
 

Daily Scripture
Psalms 23:1-6
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the Lord Forever.”
  
Encouragement
David offer one of the greatest and maybe the most quoted verses in the Bible. In our text David begins with two phrases. “The Lord is my Shepherd”, and “I shall not want”. The first was essential for David and one he was very familiar with. David was himself a shepherd. He knew how important the shepherd was to the sheep. In fact, he knew this so well he listed them. Verse 2 through 6 gives us some of the responsibilities of the shepherd. Then the next four words are revealing. “I shall not want”. Four words that by themselves don’t really explain much, but placed in-between God as his Shepherd, and the list of what He does for the sheep... Enough said!
 
Apply God’s Word
If we are not careful we will follow after the wrong wants. The world is bursting stuff. Literally. Look at our landfills, they are overflowing with stuff we throw away every day. And much of this stuff is what we wanted not necessarily what we needed. Someone told you that you needed it but if you really take the time to think about it you would come to the realization that your life might even be better without it. I have a Gazelle, no not the living kind. It’s the exercise machine that according to the add that hooked me was just what I needed to get into shape. My grandkids have used it way more than I have. I just wanted it, but I didn’t need it. There’s a sidewalk just outside my front door that does just as good!

Come into His Presence
Father, what I want has gotten me in a great deal of trouble. Help me to want what You want and nothing less. In Jesus' Name I pray. Amen.
Ed Herald
Senior Pastor


Email Pastor Ed
 
Victory Christian Center
18180 US Highway 150
Bloomington, Illinois 61705
309.663.7233
www.VictoryPeople.org
www.Facebook.com/VictoryPeople.org

No comments:

Post a Comment