Victory's EDIFY Devotional

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

June 14 Edify Devotional

Today’s Devotional Theme     
Benefits of God's Discipline
 

Daily Scripture
Hebrews 12:11-13
Now no discipline seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. Therefore strengthen the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be dislocated, but rather be healed.”

Encouragement 
Arthritis has invaded my hands. They don’t work as well as they used to. Sometimes my knees feel pressure, like they’re going to let me down – literally! I occasionally rail against the infirmities of my body, which are destined only to get worse. But I also thank God every day that I’m still fully mobile and able to do nearly all the things I’ve always done. The word “benefit” has a number of uses. Economists and politicians wrangle over social security benefits. Meanwhile, my “benefit,” since I’m retired, is X dollars per month. It “benefits” or adds to our fixed income. Microsoft literature extols the “benefits” of the many features in the Windows operating system. (Not everyone agrees that all those features are benefits!) And at my age – I’ve been a card-carrying septuagenarian for nearly 3 years now – my good health and mobility are truly benefits I don’t take lightly.

Apply God’s Word
We’ve all experienced God’s chastening. (If you haven’t, either you’re perfect or God has given up on you, neither of which is likely!) My father didn’t participate in my discipline; he left it to my mother. She was more than equal to the task, and although it hurt, it was usually for my benefit, to help me become a better kid. The outcome of our bending to God’s will for us is He will make the crooks in our path straight and we receive the peaceable fruit of righteousness. We’re bound to become more righteous – motivated and productive – citizens of the kingdom as a benefit. In fact, Hebrews 12:9 that our very spriritual lives depend on our willingly becoming subject to the Father of Spirits.

Come into His Presence
Father God, I never look forward to a trip to the woodshed with You. I’ve been through many and no doubt face many more to come. May I always remember that You are not a mean Father. Your discipline is always for my benefit and never given to tear me down or make me afraid of You. I thank You for the many benefits that will fall out of subjecting my will to Yours. In Jesus’ Name, amen.
Mark Bacon
Teacher & Mentor


Email Mark
 
Victory Christian Center
18180 US Highway 150
Bloomington, Illinois 61705
309.663.7233
www.VictoryPeople.org
www.Facebook.com/VictoryPeople.org

No comments:

Post a Comment