Victory's EDIFY Devotional

Thursday, June 23, 2016

June 23 Edify Devotional

Today’s Devotional Theme     
I Confess... I'm Guilty
 

Daily Scripture
Ephesians 6:4
And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord.”
 
Encouragement 
I confess, as a father, I am guilty of this. I have provoked my children to wrath (to anger) by my reactions to things around me. Whether it was something they did or not. No, I’m not a loose cannon and looking for a fight, but I have failed in training my children how to appropriately respond to situations at times. Another word used for “provoke” is “exasperate.” Let’s keep it simple and to the point. Dictionary.com warns me that exasperate means “to irritate or provoke to a high degree; annoy extremely.” Ouch! So, when I am teaching my children about the things of the Lord and life, I must remain calm, kind, and clear when teaching them. If I don’t, I run the risk of sinning myself and pushing my child away with shame, anger, and irritation. My example is so important to my kids so I must respond with grace and love to protect that influence.

Apply God’s Word
Although this scripture passage is directed at fathers, this application right now applies to all people. No matter what conversations or situations you face today, make sure you choose the proactive response of humility, grace, and love. Your response, good or bad, will determine your overall influence. You see, when we exasperate our kids or someone else, we are destroying the opportunity to share God’s Word, grace and love! Let me ask you, is your influence going to annoy someone or draw them closer? Is your response to a bad situation going to make someone second guess your Christianity or ask questions about the peace you have?
 
Come into His Presence
My Heavenly Father, I submit to Your tender mercies and grace. You have it all together. Help me, lead me, guide me into caring for my children and others around me in such a way that it draws them to You. Holy Spirit, fill me so I can be more like Jesus. In Jesus’ Name, amen.
Jarrod Herald
Pastor

Email Jarrod
 
Victory Christian Center
18180 US Highway 150
Bloomington, Illinois 61705
309.663.7233
www.VictoryPeople.org
www.Facebook.com/VictoryPeople.org

No comments:

Post a Comment