Victory's EDIFY Devotional

Saturday, June 4, 2016

June 4 Edify Devotional

Today’s Devotional Theme     
Spilt Milk
 

Daily Scripture
Luke 22:61, Acts 3:4
And the Lord turned and looked at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word of the Lord how He had said to him, ‘Before the rooster crows, you will deny Me three times’.”
...And fixing his eyes on him [the lame man], with John, Peter said, ‘Look at us.’”

Encouragement 
Opportunity knocks only once.” We’ve heard and repeated that old adage many times. But, like many old saws we repeat without thinking about what they’re really saying, it’s a blatant lie. In God’s realm, opportunity knocks over and over, every day. We’ll all miss opportunities to please God, but God – in His unending grace – keeps presenting us with more occasions to do something good, or even something great. I for one am glad, because I sometimes feel like I’m the most flagrant opportunity waster on the planet. I used to really get down on myself for tossing away chances to do what I knew was right, like accepting and acting on an invitation to a get-together with a newer believer. I still frequently miss those avenues to do something for God, but I don’t indulge in self-recrimination as much as I used to. If you’re like me, you’ll take the high road more often and not have a personal pity party every time you think about a missed opportunity.

Apply God’s Word
Peter had a great chance to stand up for his Lord. Jesus, however, knew that Peter wouldn’t have the backbone to do it. He caught Peter’s eye, which only ground shredded bitterroot into his open wound. In short, the disciple blew it. Only a few weeks later, Jesus presented Peter with another opportunity to do something great. This time, Peter was up to the task. “Look at us. No, we don’t have any money. Jesus Christ of Nazareth has something for you money can’t buy. Stand up and walk!” God was about to put strong legs under this man who had never in his life walked.

Come into His Presence
My Lord and my God, I’m so glad that You are no “one strike and out” God. We get an unending string of strikes and even a few fat pitches, so we who are sometimes prone to watch fastballs fly by can take a big swing and pound a home run. Thank You. In Jesus’ Name, amen.
Mark Bacon
Teacher & Mentor


Email Mark
 
Victory Christian Center
18180 US Highway 150
Bloomington, Illinois 61705
309.663.7233
www.VictoryPeople.org
www.Facebook.com/VictoryPeople.org

No comments:

Post a Comment