Victory's EDIFY Devotional

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

March 9 Edify Devotional

Today’s Devotional Theme     
My Fortress

Daily Scripture
Psalm 59:16-17 (HCSB) 
"But I will sing of Your strength and will joyfully proclaim Your faithful love in the morning. For You have been a stronghold for me, a refuge in my day of trouble. To You, my strength, I sing praises, because God is my stronghold-my faithful God."

Encouragement
I love to go camping in the mountains when I get a chance. Colorado, by far, has been my favorite place to go. When I read this psalm I am reminded of a trip a buddy of mine and I took where we were up about 10,000 feet, right across the valley from Pike's Peak. Wow! What a view! Up there, I could look down on all of creation, it seemed! We were also so far out that nobody could find us unless we wanted them too. As I think about a certain place in the mountains where we were "protected" from the rest of civilization, I think of David calling God his stronghold, which is another word for fortress. All throughout this Psalm, he refers to God in this way. Those sent by Saul to kill him were not able to because God was protecting him. Even with the lies they spread about him, trying to get people to believe them, it was all out of jealousy on Saul's part and these bloodthirsty men took up Saul's grievance towards David. They watched his house, they tracked his steps. I could imagine the frustration of David when people were trying to kill him for the simple reason that he slayed Goliath because Saul and his army were too chicken to do it themselves. David chose to believe God would protect him because he knew his God. And protect him God did, all throughout his life.

Apply God’s Word
In what, or who, are you trusting? Is it in certain people? A favorite book or idea? Is it in your job? Is it in yourself and the "survival skills" you use to "just get by" each and every day? Sometimes we find things that "work for us," but are really only provide a temporary bandage to what is really going on both inside, and all around us. I challenge you to brush off your dependence upon the "things" of this world, and look to the One who created all things. Just as I felt hidden from everything up in the Colorado mountains, so being hidden in the stronghold of God is even more secure. It is not cowardice to run to God when your world is crumbling all around you. Rather, it is the strongest, and most difficult act of faith you could ever do for yourself. Remember, God has the last laugh when it comes to His children undergoing persecution. Run to God. You won't be disappointed.

Come into His Presence
Father God, I run to You. In this world I have encountered people who, it seems, just want to misunderstand and get the better of me. I know You are for me and not against me, even when it feels like my world is crashing down. You're the only one who can hold it up, or fix it when it's broken. I choose to trust You today in everything, and give You my future, whatever it may hold. Be my stronghold and refuge. I trust You. In Jesus' name, amen.
Greg Minassian
Pastor


Email Pastor Greg
 
Victory Christian Center
18180 US Highway 150
Bloomington, Illinois 61705
309.663.7233
www.VictoryPeople.org
www.Facebook.com/VictoryPeople.org

No comments:

Post a Comment