Victory's EDIFY Devotional

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

March 8 Edify Devotional

Today’s Devotional Theme     
How to Win a War
 

Daily Scripture
Deuteronomy 20:1, 4
When you go out to battle against your enemies, and see horses and chariots and people more numerous than you, do not be afraid of them; for the Lord your God is with you, who brought you up from the land of Egypt… For the Lord your God is He who goes with you, to fight for you against your enemies, to save you.”

Encouragement 
For much of my saved life I’ve shrunk from doing battle with the enemy. I’ve often skated by without having to face Satan directly. In fact, I’ve actually thanked God for letting me skip having to do spiritual warfare! No longer. Am I scared? Sure I am. Are you? Hey, it’s ok to be scared. I think God expects us to harbor fear fighting an invisible, wily foe like Satan. In fact, in Deuteronomy 20:8, God tells the people through Moses: “You who are fearful, return home.” Why does he let them go without a fight? Besides being ineffective in the war, their faintheartedness is likely to infect their fellow soldiers and make them afraid to fight as well. But I’m not running home scared any longer. I’m going to fight shoulder-to-shoulder with my fellow spiritual warriors.

Apply God’s Word
Let’s highlight a few reasons we will win the battles ahead and ultimately the war. First, notice the reminder God gives His people in Deuteronomy 20:1. God has brought all of us out of our various Egypt’s. Mine was a totally depraved lifestyle that held me in its sway for many years (and many tears!). I can’t even guess all the things God did to keep me going when I was unwittingly trying to destroy myself with many evils. But He has brought us or is bringing us out via uncounted miracles. Your Egypt is no doubt different than mine, but the principle is the same for all of us. Second, the enemy – the devil and his accomplices with most of this present world on their side – is more numerous and in some ways equipped with superior armaments. But the Lord our God is with us. If we keep sight of that fact, we simply cannot lose. 2 Corinthians 10:4 serves as a reminder that we’re not packing actual guns and bombs into a shooting war but stronghold-destroying ones into the looming and ongoing spiritual war. Third, we are not actually fighting our battles. God is. I’m still wrapping my mind around what that means. He is immeasurably bigger than Satan.

Come into His Presence
Lord God, with the host of heaven arrayed against the enemy, don’t let me lose sight of the reality that we’re not facing Satan alone. Thank You that You fight for us. In Jesus' name. Amen.
Mark Bacon
Teacher & Mentor


Email Mark
 
Victory Christian Center
18180 US Highway 150
Bloomington, Illinois 61705
309.663.7233
www.VictoryPeople.org
www.Facebook.com/VictoryPeople.org

No comments:

Post a Comment